United Way of Pennsylvania is seeking an innovative policy enthusiast to serve as a valuable member of our team. UWP fights for the health, education, and financial stability of every Pennsylvanian. UWP is a statewide collaborator and represents Pennsylvania’s 44-member United Way network on policy issues that help us achieve our mission. As our team is expanding, we are looking for a dynamic team-player to join United Ways in achieving common good for Pennsylvania. The position will be located at the United Way of Pennsylvania headquarters, located in the Harrisburg area.
Reports to: UWP Public Policy Director
- Increase grassroots engagement by UWP membership in support of United Way state and federal advocacy priorities
- Increase United Way volunteer, donor and general public engagement in support of United Way’s legislative priorities.
- Implement communication and engagement strategies to support our advocacy grant commitments.
- Produce compelling, persuasive and effective communications which support UWP’s policy agenda.
- Equip UWP members with timely and accurate information about how legislation, regulation or other government action will impact United Way community impact, resource development and/or nonprofit partners.
Implement strategies to execute the UWP public policy agenda with direction from the UWP Public Policy Director
Engage members in public policy advocacy through strategies which include:
- Briefing members on policy priorities of UWP through written and electronic means
- Issuing timely action requests on state and federal priorities
- Identifying educational topics and subject matter experts to talk about policy matters relevant to United Way’s work
Partner with local United Ways to engage United Way boards of directors and other volunteers, including business and community leaders, to advocate for United Way priorities
Plan and execute in-district and Capitol meetings and events to support UWP’s advocacy priorities, including UWP’s annual Hill Day in Harrisburg
Review and analyze legislation and maintain UWP’s bill tracking system
Conduct research to inform UWP’s advocacy efforts.
Develop advocacy messages for social media and coordinate social media advocacy with UWP’s Operations Manager
Develop persuasive communications to support legislative and regulatory advocacy as directed by UWP’s Public Policy Director
Build relationships with legislative staff and state agency staff to support United Way’s health, income and education policy agenda
Represent UWP at various coalition meetings, conference calls, and conferences as needed
Build relationships with like-minded advocacy organizations, and develop formal and informal communications which support coordination of advocacy efforts with these partners
Implement strategies to support United Way Worldwide public policy priorities
Author content for UWP’s member and public newsletters
Other duties assigned by the UWP Public Policy Director
Bachelor’s Degree – public policy, political science preferred
1-2 years of prior experience working in government relations, state/federal government or other advocacy and policy experience
Strong oral and written communication
Some overnight travel is required. Ability to operate a motor vehicle, or to provide your own reliable transportation to and from the office as well as required statewide travel.
This position is a non-exempt position under the Fair Labor Standards Act.
This position is partially funded by grants.
Salary and Benefits:
The Advocacy and Engagement Coordinator will be employed by United Way of Pennsylvania. UWP provides a competitive benefits package which includes health insurance, vision, dental, a 401(k) match, and paid time off, including flexible holidays.
Salary range for this position is $40,000 to $45,000, depending on experience and qualifications.
Please submit a cover letter, resumé and writing sample to email@example.com by November 15. Applications must include all three parts in order to be considered.