- Enhance the non-profit sector's ability to serve
- Encourage philanthropy, volunteering and innovation
Local United Ways bring together funders and volunteers to advance the common good. United Way of Pennsylvania advocates for public policies that keep nonprofits viable, and assures that we will be able to continue serving our communities. UWP supports:
- Creating a statewide 2-1-1 system to serve as the central source of information and referral for Health and Human Services, and to coordinate health and human service needs resulting from emergencies or natural disasters with state and local emergency management agencies.
- Fair and adequate funding for human services.
- Amendments to state law which protect Pennsylvania's service recipients and service providers by assuring that federal dollars allocated to the Commonwealth, and state dollars for essential services that directly impact the health and safety of Pennsylvanians, continue to be paid during a budget impasse. We also support changes to the state budget process which will decrease the likelihood of future budget impasses.
- Fair, efficient and transparent contracting practices between service providers and government funders.
- Efforts to reduce unnecessary state administrative burdens on human service providers and their programs.
- Creating and preserving charitable giving incentives in the state tax code.
- Protecting the purely public charities exemption from property taxes.
- Preserving the ability of the nonprofit sector to garner revenue through payroll deduction.
- Policies that encourage philanthropy and volunteerism in Pennsylvania to advance the common good.
How You Can Help
Find your local United Way to find out how you can support the work of non-profit organizations in your community.