United Way of Pennsylvania does not run a tax assistance program out of our own office location. Most income tax assistance sites will begin accepting appointments in late January 2020. If you are looking for a site, please call 211 or see the resources below:


Due to technical issues, MyFreeTaxes.com will temporarily direct users to the IRS Free Filing website. This issue will be resolved soon and then filers can use MyFreeTaxes.com as normal. Thank you for your patience.

Individuals who are comfortable using a computer to file electronically can file Federal and State returns for free online using myfreetaxes.com regardless of income as long as they do not need to file the Schedule C Form 1040 (Profit or Loss from Business – Sole Proprietorship), Schedule D Form 1040 (Capital Gains and Losses), or Schedule E Form 1040 (Supplemental Income and Loss). Schedules D and E are not supported at all on the software, but those who need to use Schedule C will only pay a discounted fee of $25.00 (the normal fee is $50).

There is also a phone support hotline available for those using MyFreeTaxes.com who need extra assistance. For more information, please visit www.myfreetaxes.com anytime on or after January 27th, 2020.

This free online service is offered by United Way and powered by H&R Block. The tax software assures users an accurate and secure tax filing process.

Volunteer Income Tax Assistance

Individuals who would prefer a trained volunteer assist them with completion of their tax return should check into resources that may be available locally, including the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program. Individuals with incomes of less than $56,000 are eligible for assistance through VITA. You can find a VITA program here or check out the United Way of PA VITA Directory.