We are accepting applications from qualified candidates until July 6, 2020.
Title: United Way of Pennsylvania Public Policy Director
Reports to: UWP President
- Increase visibility of United Way of Pennsylvania in state and federal policy advocacy.
- Increase participation by UWP members in state and federal policy advocacy
- Lead collaborative efforts and bipartisan strategies to advance United Way’s legislative priorities.
- Equip UWP members with timely and accurate information about how legislation, regulation or other government action will impact United Way community impact, resource development and/or nonprofit partners.
- Establish UWP and PA United Ways as national leaders in increasing awareness and engaging partners and donors to help ALICE move along a path to financial stability.
Responsible for directing UWP’s resources to enhance United Way’s advocacy effectiveness in Pennsylvania
Responsible for directing and implementing strategies to execute the UWP public policy agenda.
Responsible for developing relationships and advocating to increase partnerships between state government and PA 211.
Assure that UWP members are engaged in public policy advocacy and exercise independent judgement to determine what strategies to deploy.
Responsible for directing coordination of messages related to UWP’s public policy agenda across all external communications platforms, including web site, newsletters and social media
Along with UWP’s President, serve as primary face of UWP in relationships with legislative staff and state agency staff to support United Way’s health, income and education policy agenda, as well as statewide partnerships for PA 211.
Assure that UWP’s legislative tracking system is maintained and supports maximization of association resources.
Direct the United Way of Pennsylvania ALICE project.
- Coordinate the ALICE project with United Way policy advocacy
- Oversee staff role of coordinating the ALICE learning community
- Implement ALICE work plan as guided by the PA ALICE Advisory Committee
- Manage tasks and relationships necessary for the successful implementation of the ALICE project and PA work plan
Design and implement strategies to support United Way Worldwide public policy priorities
Develop advocacy grant proposals for United Way Worldwide and manage UWW advocacy grants on issues which correspond to the policy interests of the PA network
Lead the UWP public policy committee’s role to guide UWP’s state and federal legislative strategy
- Assure UWP’s advocacy is timely on pertinent state and federal issues by scanning the legislative environment and setting the committee’s agenda to reflect current issues
- Serve as principal researcher and analyst to maintain an updated public policy agenda
- Help the committee make informed decisions during the priority-setting process.
- Increase UWP member engagement through the public policy committee
Serve as spokesperson for UWP when the President is not available
Supervise the advocacy and engagement coordinator for UWP
Direct UWP’s compliance with quarterly lobby expense reporting requirements as required by state law
Other duties assigned by the UWP President
Bachelor’s Degree – public policy, political science preferred
Five years of prior experience working in government relations, state/federal government or other advocacy and policy experience
Strong oral and written communication
Supervisory experience preferred but not required
Some overnight travel is required
This position is an exempt position under the Fair Labor Standards Act.
United Way of Pennsylvania offices are located in Lemoyne, PA.
Compensation and Benefits: The salary range for this position dependent on experience and qualifications. Please submit a salary requirement in your cover letter.
UWP offers a competitive employee benefits package which includes health, dental, and vision coverage provided for full-time employees of UWP, paid time off, and work-related travel reimbursement. A 401(k) employer match contribution is available to full-time employees after one year of service is completed.
Application Instructions Interested candidates should apply by sending a cover letter (including salary requirement), resumé and writing sample to email@example.com by July 6, 2020.