In partnership with Pocono Mountains United Way, we are offering to our members a virtual three-part holistic, and interactive diversity, equity and inclusion training series. This series will provide a foundational framework of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion, focused on:
- Strengthening understanding of DEI
- Identification of the benefits of DEI work
- Social identity and intersectionality
- Implementation of internal equity practices
- Operationalizing United Way Worldwide Requirement D
Participants will be engaged in small group brainstorming sessions, team-based activities, and will be provided supplemental material to reinforce learning between sessions. Curriculum for each session follows:
Equity 101 deconstructs DEI to its basics. This foundational session answers the questions, “what is equity?”, “why is it important?”, and “how do I and my organization benefit from Diversity, Equity and Inclusion efforts?”. Participants will learn and build shared definitions surrounding key DEI topics, engage in team-based activities identifying the importance of equity, and begin to strengthen their understanding of the collective benefits of DEI work.
Equity 102 makes DEI more personal, inviting participants to explore their social identity and how they interact with the world around them. This session builds upon the foundational concepts from 101, focusing more deeply on how social categorization, intersectionality, and systems dictate levels of power and privilege. Participants will engage in deconstructing social hierarchies and identifying the intersections of privilege and oppression.
Equity 103 structures out tangible steps for participants to evaluate and problem solve with an equity lens. This visionary session invites participants to begin the process of assessing needs and barriers around them and learning tangible ways to infuse equity into their daily work. This session will work with participants to build the strategies and knowledge to operationalize United Way Worldwide Requirement D.
Pricing and Availability
This training is being sponsored by a generous grant from Verizon, which allows us to offer it at a discounted price per attendee of $25. Each organization must register and pay for each individual participant. Space is limited in each cohort to 40 people.
We are offering the following United Ways the first opportunity to register their participants as a “thank you” for completing our interest survey:
- Centre County United Way
- United Way of York County
- Clearfied Area United Way
- United of Greater Philadelphia and Southern New Jersey
- United Way of Clarion County
- Pocono Mountains United Way
- United Way of the Titusville Region
- United Way of Indiana County
- Lycoming County United Way
- United Way of Bucks County
- United Way of the Laurel Highlands
- United Way of Venango County
- United Way of Lebanon County
- United Way of Southwestern PA
- United Way of Bradford County
- United Way of the Wyoming Valley
These United Ways have exclusive registration access until March 22nd. After that, remaining seats will be open to all United Way of Pennsylvania members.
2023 Cohort Schedule
There are three options for registration. Registration includes all three dates in each cohort and participants are expected to attend each session. Space is limited to 40 participants per cohort.
Registration closes March 31st or when cohort is full
- Equity 101: Friday, April 7th 1:00pm-3:00pm
- Equity 102: Friday, April 21st 1:00pm-3:00pm
- Equity 103: Friday, May 5th 1:00pm-3:00pm
Registration closes June 20th or when cohort is full
- Equity 101: Tuesday, July 11th 3:00pm-5:00pm
- Equity 102: Tuesday, July 25th 3:00pm-5:00pm
- Equity 103: Tuesday, August 8th 3:00pm-5:00pm
Registration closes August 31st or when cohort is full
- Equity 101: Thursday, September 14th 10:00am-12:00pm (note: this is the same time as UWP’s board meeting)
- Equity 102: Thursday, September 28th 10:00am-12:00pm
- Equity 103: Thursday, October 12th 10:00am-12:00pm